If you are a fan of Subway sandwiches and crave a hearty and satisfying option, the Steak and Cheese sub might be calling your name.
Packed with tender steak strips, melted cheese, and an array of delicious toppings, this sandwich is a mouthwatering delight. However, before you indulge, it’s essential to understand the nutritional content of this popular menu item.
In this blog post on Subway Steak and Cheese Nutrition, we’ll take a closer look at the nutritional breakdown of Subway’s Steak and Cheese sandwich, enabling you to make informed and healthier choices.
Subway’s Steak and Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
Subway steak and cheese nutrition is a sandwich that typically features thinly sliced steak expertly cooked to perfection and crowned with melted cheese. You have the option to customize your sub with various bread choices, vegetables, condiments, and sauces.
While customization allows you to tailor the sandwich to your preferences, it can also impact its nutritional profile.
Calories and Macronutrients
The caloric content of a Subway Steak and Cheese sandwich varies based on the size, bread choice, and additional toppings you select. On average, a 6-inch Steak and Cheese sub contains around 350-400 calories, while a footlong can range from 700-800 calories.
The macronutrient breakdown (carbohydrates, protein, and fat) of a standard 6-inch Steak and Cheese sub without additional toppings or sauces is approximately as follows:
- Carbohydrates: 40-45 grams
- Protein: 30-35 grams
- Fat: 8-12 grams
- Sodium and Cholesterol
The Steak and Cheese sub is a savoury delight, but it’s important to note that it can be relatively high in sodium and cholesterol due to the steak and cheese components.
Depending on the size and specific ingredients, a Subway Steak and Cheese sandwich can contain around 800-1200 milligrams of sodium and 60-100 milligrams of cholesterol.
Read Also: Reese’s Puffs Nutrition Facts
Fiber and Micronutrients
Unfortunately, the Subway Steak and Cheese sandwich is not a substantial contributor to dietary fibre or essential vitamins and minerals. The vegetables and bread you choose to include can contribute to the overall fibre and micronutrient content, but the steak and cheese themselves are not particularly rich in these nutrients.
Healthier Customization Options
While the standard Subway Steak and Cheese sub can be a delicious treat, there are ways to make it healthier and more nutritious. Here are some tips for customizing your sandwich:
- Choose Whole Grain Bread: Opt for whole-grain or wheat bread options to increase fibre content and add more complex carbohydrates to your meal.
- Load Up on Veggies: Load your sandwich with an array of fresh vegetables like lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and spinach. These add valuable vitamins, minerals, and fibre to your meal.
- Be Mindful of Sauces: Be cautious with high-calorie sauces and dressings. Instead, choose alternatives that are less heavy, like mustard, vinegar, or a little bit of olive oil.
- Watch Portion Size: If you want to enjoy a footlong sandwich, consider sharing it with a friend or saving half for another meal to avoid excessive calorie intake.
- Consider Leaner Protein: Subway offers various lean protein options, such as chicken breast or turkey, which can be healthier choices than steak.
What other healthy Subway sandwiches are there?
Subway steak and cheese nutrition is a variety of healthier sandwiches that feature reduced calorie counts, lower saturated fat content, and decreased sodium levels, rendering them suitable for individuals who are looking to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet. Here are some healthier Subway sandwiches to consider:
- Veggie Delite: This sandwich is a classic vegetarian option that is both delicious and nutritious. It features a variety of fresh vegetables, such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, cucumbers, and olives. You can choose your favourite bread and add your preferred sauce or dressing. The Veggie Delite is naturally low in calories and fat while providing essential vitamins, minerals, and dietary fibre.
- Turkey Breast: The Turkey Breast sandwich is an excellent source of lean protein. It includes thinly sliced turkey breast, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and your choice of bread and condiments. Opt for whole-grain bread and add plenty of veggies to enhance the nutritional value.
- Oven-Roasted Chicken: The Oven-Roasted Chicken sandwich is another healthier option at Subway. It features tender, low-fat chicken breast strips, along with a variety of fresh veggies. You can customize it with your choice of bread and toppings to suit your taste.
- Chicken Teriyaki (6-inch, without cheese): The Chicken Teriyaki sandwich, without cheese, can be a flavorful and healthier choice. It offers the savoury taste of teriyaki-glazed chicken with a combination of vegetables.
- Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki (6-inch, without cheese): Similar to the regular Chicken Teriyaki, the Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki sandwich without cheese offers a blend of teriyaki-glazed chicken and the tangy flavour of sweet onion sauce. Pile it with veggies for added nutrition.
Rotisserie-style chicken (6-inch, without cheese)
This sandwich features succulent rotisserie-style chicken with your choice of vegetables and bread. It’s a satisfying option that’s lower in fat compared to some other choices.
Turkey Breast and Black Forest Ham (6-inch, without cheese)
If you prefer a combination of meats, the Turkey Breast and Black Forest Ham sandwich, without cheese, can be a balanced and protein-rich choice.
Subway Club (6-inch, without cheese)
The Subway Club is a delightful combination of turkey, roast beef, and ham. Opt for whole-grain bread, and load it up with fresh veggies to make it a healthier option.
The Subway Steak and Cheese sandwich can be a tasty and indulgent choice for a meal. However, being mindful of its nutritional content is essential, especially if you are watching your calorie, sodium, or cholesterol intake.
By customizing your sandwich with healthier options like whole-grain bread, a variety of vegetables, and leaner protein, you can enjoy your Subway meal guilt-free.
Remember, moderation is key, and making informed choices will help you strike a balance between savouring your favourite Subway sandwich and maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet.